This classic Thai chicken soup gets its rich flavor from quintessential Thai ingredients: coconut milk, lemongrass, fresh ginger, lime juice, chile paste, basil and cilantro.
As satisfying as the version served at your favorite Thai restaurant, but enjoyed in the comfort of your own home. Flavors of lime, chile, and cilantro cut through the creamy broth for a tangy, silky combination.
- 1 can (14 oz.) coconut milk
- 1 can (14 oz.) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 quarter-size slices fresh ginger
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass, cut in 1-in. pieces
- 1 pound boned, skinned chicken breast or thighs, cut into 1-in. chunks $
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms $
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice $
- 1 tablespoon Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce (nuoc mam or nam pla)
- 1 teaspoon sugar $
- 1 teaspoon Thai chili paste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
In a medium saucepan, combine coconut milk, broth, ginger, and lemongrass and bring to boil over high heat. Add chicken, mushrooms, lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and chili paste. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is firm and opaque, 5 to 10 minutes. Discard lemongrass. Garnish servings with basil and cilantro.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1 1/2-cup serving.